Whenever you are in danger, whether in ocean or in war or in the wild, remember me. I shall save you. You may not know me, you may not realize who I am, just pray to me with a little touch of your heart and I shall free you from gripping sorrows and miseries
Over two centuries after these words were uttered by a sage, they have become famous all over Bengal.
The Saint of Bengal
Here is one sage who predicted that a century after his death, he would be greatly revered by one and all.
Donate for a Noble Cause
Join us in our journey of charity for a better tomorrow. Even a small contribution will go a long way. Donate Online Now.
Baba Lokenath was born on Janmashtami, the birthday of Lord Krishna in 1730 (18th Bhadra, 1137) to a Brahman family, a couple of miles away from Calcutta.
His father, Ramnarayan Ghosal's sole wish in life was to dedicate one child to the path of renunciation to liberate the family. So when the fourth son was born to his wife Kamala devi, he knew that the time had come for him to initiate his boy to the service of the Almighty.
Education & Training
Accordingly, he ventured to a nearby village of Kochuya and pleaded with Pandit Bhagawan Ganguly to be his son's guru and teach him the Shastras rich in Vedic wisdom.
At the age of 11, young Lokenath left home with his guru. His first sojourn was the Kalighat Temple then for 25 years he lived in the forests, selflessly serving his master and practicing the Ashtanga Yoga of Patanjali along with the most difficult Hatha Yoga.
Penance & Enlightenment
Baba Lokenath was nearly seven feet tall with little flesh on him.Denying the needs of his physical self
he negated sleep, never closed his eyes or even blinked. He went about stark naked, and in that state, he braved the chill of the Himalayas and immersed himself in profound SAMADHI for nearly five decades. Finally, the light of self-realization dawned on him at the age of 90.
Baba’s Travels on Foot
After his enlightenment he traveled extensively on foot to Afghanistan, Persia, Arabia and Israel, making three pilgrimages to Mecca.
When he came to the small town Baradi near Dhaka, a wealthy family built him a small hermitage, which became his ashram. He was then 136 years of age. There he put on a sacred thread and clothed himself in saffron robes. For the rest of his life, he bestowed miracles and celestial wisdom on all who came to him to seek blessings. Read more
His teachings were infused with a simplicity that endeared the common man.
He preached love and devotion and an unwavering faith in God and in one's deeper, immutable self. For him, nothing is but self. After attaining siddhi or enlightenment he said: "I have seen only myself. I am bound by my own KARMA. The materialistic world is bound by the tongue and the sex organ.
He who can restrain these two is fit to attain “siddhi (enlightenment)".
Baba Leaves His Physical Body
On the 19th day of Jyostha, 1297 (June 3, 1890), at 11:45 am, the Baba was seated in his usual Gomukh yoga asana.
He went into a trance with his eyes open, and while still meditation, the Baba left his physical body forever. He was aged 160. He said, before death: "I am eternal, I am deathless. After this body falls, do not think that everything will come to an end. I will live in the hearts of all living beings in my subtle astral form. Whoever will seek my refuge, will always receive my grace".
Baba Lokenath Promises
- Darkness disappears with the rising sun. The thief runs away when the householder awakens. Likewise, contemplate on the higher qualities and the lower instincts in you will run away, and your body will become the temple of the Divine.
- The three shots that cause all the sorrow and misery in this world are – insulting words, loss of wealth, loss of most near and dear ones. One who bears with patience the pain of all these three shots will be able to conquer death.
- If ever you should feel a sense of gratitude toward me, give some alms to the poor. Whatever you may give to the poor, neglected and downtrodden brethren of yours with true love, I shall always receive it.
- Any such deed that brings you a sense of repentance and grief after it is done is a sin; any action that creates a peaceful and happy state of mind is a virtue.
- I only ask you to perform all your actions consciously. Do whatever you like but do it consciously and with a sense of awareness. Once you become conscious and aware, you will find that your conscience prevents you from doing any evil deed.
108 Names of Baba Lokenath
- Om Lokenathaya Namah
- Om Baradinathaya Namah
- Om Mrityunjayay Lokenathaya Namah
- Om Mrityubhai Abhaipradaya Lokenathaya Namaha
- Om Sthiraya Lokenathaya Namah
- Om Sthanave Lokenathaya Namah
- Om Varadaya Lokenathaya Namaha
- Om Sarvatmane Lokenathaya Namaha
- Om Vishnuvallabhaya Lokenathaya Namaha
- Om Digamvaraya Lokenathaya Namaha
- Om Shashvataya Lokenathaya Namaha
- Om Bhagavate Lokenathaya Namaha